Looking ahead to Reno Devo 2021
Interested in racing in 2021?
We are looking forward to 2021 and will have more information about our orientation night in the coming months. Have questions about the team? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reno Devo Team Overview
Reno Devo is a Reno-based junior mountain bike development team. Athletes ages 10 to 18 are introduced to the science of cycling and coached to develop their skills on the mountain bike. Athletes follow age-appropriate structured training plans to develop their cycling fitness and skills. Under the instruction of USA Cycling licensed coaches, athletes meet 2 to 3 times per week for training sessions while training on their own several other days each week.
While races may have been canceled this season for both our regional and national teams they have continued training to prepare for when races are open.
For 2020 RTJC will again present two team options within Reno Devo, our “National Team” and “Regional Team”. Athletes on both teams will be Reno Devo athletes however the two teams will require different levels of commitment from the athletes and have different races of focus.
This program is focused on preparing athletes for success at the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships in July 2020 in Winter Park, Colorado. Team overview:
- Will meet with coaches three days per week.
- Athletes on the national team are expected to maintain 90% or greater attendance for workouts.
- Will also have several workouts per week to complete on their own or with teammates and completion of these workouts is expected.
- Athletes ages 15+ will be using power based training for 2020.
- Major races of focus:
Training will start in December. Athletes must be racing age 15 to 18 and selection to this program requires coach approval. Athletes aged 13 and 14 with extensive racing experience may be considered for the nationals program.
Coaches: Kyle Dixon and Paul Miers
This program will prepare athletes for success in local and regional races.
- Athletes will meet with coaches two to three times per week.
- Attendance is necessary for an athlete to advance and improve. Regionals team athletes are expected to maintain a 75% or greater attendance record for workouts.
- Races of focus will include:
- Nevada City Dirt Series, Nevada City, CA, March/April/May/June
- Sea Otter Classic, Monterey, CA, April 17-29
- Peavine Classic, Reno, NV May 2019
- Reno Wheelmen twilight race series, Reno, NV TBD
- Carson Epic, Carson City, June 2020
The regional team will begin workouts in March and the season will conclude in mid-June. Athletes must be racing age 10 to 18 to be considered for the regional team.
Coaches: Tobey Hilliard and Lane Swall
Athletes do not have to be experienced racers to join! In fact, many athletes have never raced prior to joining Reno Devo. All athletes need to be experienced at trail riding prior to joining. Athletes are expected to be able to ride intermediate level trails. An example of this would be the Whites Creek or Thomas Creek trails in the Galena Area of South Reno. If you have questions as to whether an athlete is experienced enough for Reno Devo please don’t hesitate to contact us! We are more likely to recommend athletes to RenoDevo if they are regularly attending RTJC club rides, since we are familiar with these athletes’ skill levels.
Regional Team $400 / Nationals Team $800 includes the following:
- Weekly training program by USA Cycling licensed coaches
- 2 to 3 organized team training sessions per week in season
- Other discounts to be announced as season approaches.
A Typical Week for a Reno Devo Athlete
- Monday: Team workout with coach(es) on site, Hidden Valley Park from 5:30 to 7:00 PM.
- Tuesday: Easy ride of 30 to 45 min on your own.
- Wednesday: Endurance ride of 1 ½ hrs on your own.
- Thursday: Team workout with coach on site, Callahan Park from 5:30 to 7:00 PM
- Friday: Off day
- Saturday: Team workout with coach on site, Rancho Park from 2:00 to 4:00 PM
- Sunday: Open day, ride if you want…have fun!
How to Join
We are looking forward to 2021 and will have more information about our orientation night in the coming months.